Silhouettes | Organizing Made Fun: Silhouettes

Friday, September 23, 2011

Silhouettes

I see beautiful silhouettes all over blogland and Pinterest! And, I must admit, I LOVE them! I just think that they bring character and charm to a home.  Our family room is one room that I have tried to make very family minded - afterall, it IS a family room! I have been wanting them for our family room for awhile...


Source


We vacationed earlier this summer in Big Bear.  Let me tell you, it may be a small mountain town, but they have the BEST thrift stores! I seriously can't tell you how many great finds I got there! Good thing I had my van! Anyway...I found these silver trays for $1 a piece.  I am a sucker for trays - LOVE trays - and I use them all the time all over the place. I especially use them for entertaining the many we have over! So, I had no idea what I'd do with them but I figured for $1 a piece it was a great deal and I'd figure it out later. 

I stashed them in my office for a couple of months and completely forgot about them! My husband had piled some things on them and one day I was cleaning up I noticed them.  What does that have to do with silhouettes?


I realized I hadn't thought of anything and that I wanted some silhouettes of the kids on the walls.  So, I painted chalkboard paint on the inside of the tray, leaving the edges revealed.  It was SUPER easy - a couple of coats and I did it on my kitchen table!
 

Then, I took a couple of pictures of the kids' silhouettes and printed them up and cut them out. I grabbed a pencil and traced them and used my chalk ink to draw their silhouettes onto the trays.  Easy peesy!

I used some Command "damage-free" hanging strips and put on the backs of the trays - which are very lite-weight. 



I hung them amongst our gallery of pictures on the wall in our family room. It's so cute!  I love it.
  

And, I can always erase them and use for something else later on! Or not!


Do you have any silhouttes of yourself or kids in your home? Aren't they so fun?



Pin It


Photobucket

Like what you see here? Consider becoming a follower or subscribe via email!