Teaming up with Office Depot! How to organize your make up with file folders! | Organizing Made Fun: Teaming up with Office Depot! How to organize your make up with file folders!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Teaming up with Office Depot! How to organize your make up with file folders!


A couple of months ago I shared my beautiful vanity that I updated and painted. It's a beauty and I'm enjoying it everyday.



What I'm not enjoying is the lack of organization that has ensued! I've been trying to think of a good way to get this beauty organized and how I could better it's function.



Then, along came Office Depot - and they challenged me to find new ways to use their office products. OK, I LOVE a good organizing challenge - not kidding, I really love it! And I also really love thinking of fun ways to organize with stuff that isn't meant for it's original purpose! So, this is the perfect solution for me!



My first idea - to "organize" with file folders, but not in the conventional way! I used the file folders as drawer liners! What? Yes, as drawer liners. Why file folders? Well, they are thick and strong and can serve well with what I needed. But, instead of just cutting up file folders and throwing them in the bottom of the drawer, I laminated them! Oh, the blessed laminator - I do love that thing!


I took out the drawer, measured the bottom and then cut up the file folder to the appropriate size. I ran them through my laminator and then trimmed each one. The reason I did this is that it will make it super easy to clean. I can just lift it out of the drawer and wipe off. Oh, and I'm AWFUL at lining drawers with contact paper - seriously, awful! It always looks a mess and it winds up stuck to itself. Well, this is WAY easier. WAY easier!



After I got the drawers lined, which took no more time to cut and laminate than if I'd used contact paper, but way less stressful. I used some office products to organize the drawers. 



This is the one that I thought really made sense. It's a Brocade Desk Organizer - pretty, but functional. It's metal, so it was perfect to use to hold my flat iron and curling iron {yes, that curling iron is about 20 years old, don't judge}. My hair dryer folds up perfectly next to the drawer desk organizer AND it's pretty! Score!



Just so you know, I also have an extension cord that I have put in the drawer by threading it through the back and over the drawer. My original idea was to drill a hole in the drawer, but it turns out that I didn't have to as their was a little opening in the back. It opens and closes fine and I can plug all my appliances into this one extension cord.



Sometimes simple organizing is best - like this drawer with my brushes. 




My favorite drawer is this middle drawer. My make up was everywhere, but with such a short and shallow drawer it was hard to figure out how to keep it all contained while organizing. 





I love this and it's working well on a daily basis.


The last thing I did was use the Brocade letter sorter as a stand for my Mini-Ipad. I like to have it on there in the morning to listen to music or just check up on stuff and having it sit on my vanity. It's pretty -- you can't buy a stand like this that is so pretty! And, it's functional. I can always move it around the house to use elsewhere, too! 

What do you think? Had you imagined you could organize with office products this way? 




*I was compensated to do this post about Office Depot's fabulous products.

Connect with me:
Follow OrganizeMadeFun on Twitter Follow Me on Pinterest  http://www.buttonshut.com 
Google Plus for OMF beckyb_omf Bloglovin’ OMF OMF Facebook page