Thankful for groceries! | Organizing Made Fun: Thankful for groceries!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Thankful for groceries!

I distinctly remember coming home from my semi-monthly trip from Costco, and thinking "Wow, I have to unload ALL this by myself and then put it all away..." I was beginning to complain in my heart! 

Really? Complain about having TOO much food to put away? I stopped right there and realized how much I had to be thankful for. I prayed and asked God for forgiveness for grumbling about it. I changed my heart attitude and began joyfully putting away all the food. It's a big task - takes me a good 45 minutes to put all that food away. I have to break down the boxes, find the right spot in the overflow pantry, and move around what else needs to be repositioned and refilled.

Do you ever find yourself complaining about that? Have you ever had an opportunity to realize how fortunate most of us are to find food, a lot of food, on our tables and in our pantries?

Well, I want to introduce you to an organization that I recently discovered and plan to try and do more with. 

Children's Hunger Fund is an amazing organization! There are three main locations: Los Angeles, San Antonio, and Chicago where you can actually go and volunteer in their warehouses and pack groceries. They even have a big event to wrap up gifts for children who have nothing, or very little. I plan to take my kids to help pack groceries and help wrap the presents for Christmas.

"Children's Hunger Fund is not your typical charity. Fighting hunger is complex and we think it takes more than a handout to truly help a child. It takes relationships. We fight hunger using our unique in-home food delivery method to build trusting relationships with the needy. In short, we're making a practical, lasting difference in the lives of children and families because we get to know them. Through relationships, we can truly meet their needs.

Though masked by a prosperity-focused culture, poverty is a serious issue in America. And the problem has only become more serious in the hurting economy. More than half of all poor children in America live in eight states—California, Illinois, Michigan, Texas, New York, Florida, Ohio, and Georgia. And one out of every seven people in the U.S. has trouble putting food on the table. Unfortunately, the children suffer the most."



I would ask you to take a moment to be thankful for the food on your tables, in your pantries, and overflowing everywhere.  Maybe you don't have much and are blessed by organizations like this. Consider what you have and be thankful, don't complain like I did! Look for a good organization in your area, like this one, that can help with hunger and volunteer your time to help out - especially your kids. Our children {mine, most definitely} are spoiled with how many choices of food we have and so much.


What are you thankful for?

Pin It
Photobucket 

Like what you see here? Consider becoming a follower or subscribe via email!